Thursday, November 20, 2014

"Superheroes"

Ok, this really isn't about the typical superheroes most people know. This isn't superman, the flash, captain america, or wonder woman.

This is Watchmen.


You probably have seen the... interesting movie version of the comic. I appreciate it way more now but I remember seeing it with my Dad when I was mid-teens and wouldn't watch anything with too much cursing, violence, and/or sex scenes. Rather, my dad didn't want me to see movies like that, but, I was uncomfortable with nudity and sex in film. Anyway, we were both so excited to see the movie to see a Man's "Blue Diddlies" as my father still likes to call it. Yes, my dad did cover my eyes during some of the scenes. But all that aside, we all know The Comedian made the movie.

Anyway, the creation of Doctor Manhattan was difficult at the time because he was fully nude. They felt it was helpful for his characterization as he has gone through a huge change in his life but still manages to keep some human habits and grow from them. But even in the comic it's not thrown in your face that he's nude.

It's just not your typical superheroes. They're all normal from the start that all have different looks on life and death. They aren't perfect. It's clear they aren't. Even the "perfect" Doctor Manhattan has his flaws, but, that's what makes it so compelling. The fact that we have these flawed heroes who bring different skills and ways of thinking together for what they feel is right. It's also clear what they stand for, even from the outside. Do you really think The Comedian takes things so seriously? (Who is much deeper than we actually see him as at first) Rorschach questions life but also sees it in multiple views. It's definitely a series those who love superheroes should read as it gives a different, more intelligent, look at the superhero trope.

No comments:

Post a Comment