Thursday, November 13, 2014

Promethea #1

Promethea reminds me of Angela of Asgard, Xena, and Shera. All beautiful woman who can take care of themselves, have this mystical aura and fight for what's best in a sci-fi twist of a past. I say that mainly because of their locations have the feel of the past but I feel you can consider them still advanced for their time.

Which brings me to the point that I me having made these connections to other characters that I love, brought me back to a little girl playing pretend with myself in similar scenarios since, as an only child, was my escape from reality. So I felt a strong connection to the main character who wanted to write her term paper and was suddenly given the gift of becoming the next Promethea. I feel like as a cosplayer, it's something I deal with anytime I'm getting ready for a convention. The intense research I do on the costume of the character helps me prepare for the event of becoming a character I felt a connection to and love. There's the struggle, like the Smee, that tries to stop me from my work. I cry because my sewing machine gets jammed or when the bobbin runs out and I thought I sewed the whole section to only see an inch of it done. Oh and there are battle scars. The constant run ins with pins constantly scar my hands and legs with the slightest move.

So of course I would love to adapt Promethea tangibly. By that I mean it would be fun to do a stage performance as it required the use of costuming and still leaves interpretation to the audience. It's still visual but it would be fun to not give the background of Promethea so soon. In fact, I rather it show little Promethea wandering around before she meets Thoth-Hermes as an opening scene and go into the story of the next Prometha from there. Show the connection between the two so it's hinting that she will become her without giving too much of the backstory away. Then, when she transforms for the first time and fights the Smee, we start to learn the story of Promethea in pieces as we see her struggle with different obstacles in both lives.

What I found really interesting was the character Thoth-Hermes. Seeing their characters surprised me but when they introduced themselves I knew there was something intriguing about them. I did some research quickly to read about these mythical gods and found that Thoth is the Egyptian God of Hieroglyphics, knowledge, and wisdom. Also, Hermes is the greek god of trade,  travelers, sports, and the messenger of the gods. Eventually, two connected and became Hermes Trismegistus, or Thoth-Hermes as said in Promethea. So what is this connection? Both are gods of writing and magic. Similar to how so many writers adapted her into their literature and how when the main character reaches out and wants to know more about Promethea, eventually becomes the next incarnation by writing "I am Promethea".

Overall I think I could really get into the series and am interested in reading the a few more passages and maybe my next blog post will be on it.

No comments:

Post a Comment