Wednesday, October 22, 2014

Intro to Manga: How amazing FLCL is

Besides being introduced to comics, I found love in manga. I can't quite remember what first brought me into the world of Manga but I was hooked. That's all I read for about 10 years. I read them occasionally now but with school I barely have time to keep up. I'm very picky, as I put the style/art before the story. I must feel attracted to it at first before wondering what the story is. Also, I like specific genres such as slice of life, action, comedy, and sometimes horror stories. It really just depends on my mood.



I re-watched FLCL as it is one of my favorite anime. Definitely something I shouldn't have watched when I was 9; but all I knew back then was Cartoon Network and Toonami. I even bought the manga when I saw it one time in Borders. Both volumes. I remember buying another series because of the mangaka. Anyway, I have to say the style of the manga is lovely quick pen sketches and even the story differs in a more mature but also very confusing and needs to be re-read a few times to uncover the story. There's a lot of deep thoughts and metaphors in the manga so I definitely say anyone who watched the anime should read the manga. Also, they leave the ending open. Not saying I hate the ending but it leaves you in a spot that makes you wonder what the future holds for the characters.

Haruko's character is practically the same but the whole ending I found way better than the anime. However, I still love the ending to the anime and the song in it. Instead of her fighting Atomsk and kissing Naota at the end before leaving, which she still does in the manga, the town is being destroyed by a robot controlled by Haruko. Things happen, "Rahal Haru-Hara" shows up and she makes out with Naota before leaving him with the vespa, in which he tries to ride it. Then it ends.

No comments:

Post a Comment